Transform Your Smile: A Guide to the Top Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures and Their Benefits for Teeth and Gums.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
It is an area of specialization in dentistry that focuses on improving the appearance of teeth, gums, and overall smile. It involves many procedures and techniques that can work individually or together to enhance the overall aesthetics of a smile.
While cosmetic dentistry primarily focuses on improving aesthetics, it can also have functional benefits.
The Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Many dentists in Elk Grove, CA, offer cosmetic dental procedures in their practices, even though cosmetic dentistry is not yet considered a separate branch of dentistry or recognized as a specialty by the American Dental Association (ADA). Some procedures include:
- Teeth whitening – is a process that removes stains and discoloration from the teeth.
- Dental veneers – are thin shells that cover the front surfaces of teeth to fix various imperfections like chips, cracks, and gaps in the teeth.
- Dental implants – replace missing teeth. They erect in the jawbone, acting as a permanent replacement for the natural tooth.
- Orthodontic treatment – uses braces, aligners, or other devices to straighten crooked teeth and improve the overall alignment.
- Dental bonding – involves applying a tooth-colored resin to the surface of the teeth to fix chips, cracks, and gaps in the teeth.
- Gum contouring – reshapes the gums to treat a gummy smile or even out the gum line.
- Inlays and onlays – are restorations that repair damaged or decayed teeth, usually where dental crowns and typical fillings are insufficient. They feature porcelain and are custom-made to fit the teeth’ shapes.
- Dental crowns – dentists sometimes use them as alternatives to veneers. They are custom-made to fit over the existing tooth to restore it instead of an extraction.
Combining Multiple Cosmetic Procedures for A Complete Transformation
The combination of different procedures in cosmetic dentistry in Elk Grove, CA, depends on the specific needs for a desired outcome. Some examples of how dentists can combine cosmetic procedures to achieve a complete smile transformation include:
- A smile makeover – is a customized treatment plan that combines different cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening, veneers, dental implants, orthodontic treatment, and other cosmetic procedures to transform an entire smile.
- A full mouth reconstruction – is a comprehensive treatment plan that dentists put together to rebuild and restore the teeth and gums. The reconstruction may include a combination of cosmetic and restorative procedures such as dental crowns, bridges, implants, veneers, and gum contouring.
- Combining orthodontic treatment with cosmetic procedures – usually to improve alignment, function, bite, and appearance. Some treatments include teeth whitening, bonding, and veneers. Combining these treatments can also reduce the risk of dental problems in the future.
- Gum contouring with veneers – can create a more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing smile. Gum contouring reshapes the gum line, while veneers improve teeth appearance.
Generally, understand that combining cosmetic procedures may require multiple appointments and a longer treatment period.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry benefits people who are unhappy with their teeth because of aesthetics. Still, not everyone is a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry. Here are some determining factors:
- Good oral health – if you have any underlying dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, or infection, you need treatment before undergoing cosmetic treatments.
- Realistic expectations about the outcome of the cosmetic procedures – cosmetic dentistry can improve a smile’s appearance, but it cannot always fix all your flaws and achieve perfection.
- Commitment to dental care – cosmetic dentistry is not a replacement for good dental hygiene and regular dental checkups.
- Good oral habits – a habit of grinding or clenching teeth or smoking and drinking alcohol will damage teeth and affect the longevity of cosmetic dental restorations.
- Good overall health – underlying health conditions may interfere with the healing process after cosmetic procedures.
Enhance Your Appearance with Cosmetic Dentistry
Once you have identified that you are a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry, approach a dentist in a dental clinic near you to begin your transformational process. Some benefits of enhancing your smile at Laguna Dental & Orthodontics with cosmetic dental procedures are:
- Improved appearance – is the most obvious benefit of cosmetic dentistry. Your smile and countenance change due to brighter and well-contoured teeth.
- Boost in self-confidence – a beautiful smile will boost your confidence, impacting your personal and professional life.
- Improved oral health – cosmetic dentistry can correct functional issues like overcrowding, misaligned teeth, and bite problems when you combine procedures.
- Quick treatments with long-lasting results